Saturday, April 10, 2004

A response to PV

Willie's Lo-Fi Emporium

So, I guess we can go back to one of my favorite pass times. Talking Music with Willie. Be sure to read the latest PV at his blog to get the gist of what I'm talking about..Don't worry, I'll wait.

Everyone back...Great.

I don't think music is turning in to the Jr High dance. I think that pop music was always that way. There has always been singers that are too young to get into the bars that their music is played at. Elvis Presley got his first gold record at 21 and what age was Michael Jackson when he started with the Jackson 5? Bobby Brown was a star with both "New Edition" and a solo artist before his 20th birthday.

When it comes to all the Disney stars that get recording contracts, I see that as just good business for the company. Hillary Duff and Lindsey Lohen have both released their singles for "Hollywood Records" which is owned by Disney, who also owns ABCFamily, The Disney Channel, ABC, Touchstone Pictures, Live with Regis and Kelly and maybe you and I. They put out these albums because the kids that watch "Lizzie Mcguire" (Well, their mostly kids) and go to the move "Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen" (No, I didn't know it off the top of my head, I looked it up) will go buy these albums, along with the posters, lunchboxes, special edition Ford Explorers and "my first contraceptive" kits just because it has the face of Hillary on it. Hell, She's even selling her "Stuff" at Zellars.

The whole Muchmusic thing is kind of weird to me too. Willie, I don't know how to tell you this, but when it comes to the programmers of Muchmusic, we're old. At the very most, they are looking for people under the age of 25 and we're not under the age of 25. They are looking for the teenagers who have the OBSCENE amounts of money to spend on every little nicknack that they can find. So it makes sense to play what those people want, not necessarily what we'd like to hear.

When it comes to Talent, I think we can all agree it's subjective. I enjoy Avril's last album, although I'm not all that excited about the new album. Hillary was good for a couple of singles, but the album was terrible. Same with Fefe, who latest single "Everything" is the best song on the album, which earns the "Dok Dogshit" award. I don't think I've heard Lohan's yet, so I'll wait to pass judgment.

I think Christina is still popular because she still has the chops to back up the hype. The album "Stripped" had a couple of songs that I think showed that, Beautiful and The Voice Within. Not to mention, Michelle Branch, who has had 2 great albums "The Spirit Room" and "Hotel Paper" as well as Vanessa Carleton, who is working on a new album.

All is not lost, Mr. Williston. The pop music industry will go on for many years to come. I heard George Strombopoulous (I think I'm close) say that The Backstreet Boys are back in studio working on their next album.

Oh yeah, I can't believe you missed the Disney Teen star that doesn't have a record deal. Christy Carlson Romano, The voice of Kim Possible

LAter,
Dok

No comments: